You have probably seen these type of screens on the highway, on your way to your favorite fast food restaurant or even on your GPS system in the car. They are called sunlight readable monitors and are screens that are often exposed to daylight the majority of the time, making regular screen unreadable. But not these screens.
Here are 20 interesting facts sunlight readable display technology
1. In essence, a sunlight-readable monitor is an outdoor screen that can be used, seen and read in daylight.
2. Sunlight readable monitors are have been used by the military industry for several years helping them navigate and accomplish high-level tasks.
3. The majority of fast food chains and stores rely heavily on these type of screens to for example display menus in the drive-thru section.
4. Unlike regular screens where daylight washes out the display making it impossible to read in bright reflections, sunlight readable displays are completely visible in the brightest conditions outdoors.
5. Sunlight readable monitors are often used and incredibly important when safety and caution need to be highlighted for drivers and pedestrians.
6. These type of screens are often cheaper than regular monitors due to its sunlight absorbing monitor screen and technology.
7. However, sunlight readable monitors have often poorer color display, image quality and contrast due to its non-cinematic use.
8. The monitor is usually made of optically bonded glass making it extremely durable and sustainable for its everyday use.
9. These sunlight-readable monitors are however too advanced for regular consumers or small operations and therefore are only suitable for larger corporations and business.
10. Monitors like these usually combine different technologies to ensure that the screen is always readable and used effectively for the outdoors.
11. Sunlight readable monitors are extremely bright LCD screens that allow the internal and front glass to join forces, stopping glares and reflections.
12. However, a lot of these screens can still be unreadable at times and thus encourages people to use an anti-reflection coating on the screen to eliminate all glares and reflections.
13. A common assumption and misconception are that all of these screens work exactly the same under all circumstances. The reality is, however, that they can have a lot of different definitions depending on the type of configurations available.
14. Another misconception is that manufacturers behind these sunlight readable monitors don’t run quality and performance tests. However, these companies are always held liable for their products in case they don’t live up to expected standard and thus are always careful and make sure that they meet industry standards.
15. These sunlight readable monitors are always required to have varying degrees of ambient light to function well.
16. Every one of these screens also usually uses liquid crystal cells which act as their main source of light transmission.
17. And each of those liquid crystal cells has an incorporated backlight that makes them function properly.
18. A lot of these sunlight readable monitors come in a variety of sizes to fit the different industries that they are used in.
19. Considering where these sunlight readable monitors are placed, the majority of them are scratch, shock and vibration resistant.
20. More often than not these durable monitors are used in industries such as transportation, law enforcement, military and even in the drilling industry.