Resistive touch screen monitor solutions have started gaining popularity in the last couple of years. Today, you cannot ignore them if you want to work with the latest in terms of TV viewing convenience or computer technology.
In fact, major operating systems have launched their versions specifically for touch screen monitors. You can now avail these ultra modern screens for quite an inexpensive price range. However, these screens have definitely expanded their usability far beyond the average home and office use. Here is a look at the nuances of this evolving trend.
The technology behind resistive and capacitive touch screen monitors
Touch screen monitors can be categorized according to the different technologies that power them. They are of mainly three categories
- Resistive monitor: This technology comprises of two layers of conducive metallic layers, which have resistive properties. These layers encompass a glass panel. When you touch the screen, the two layers contact each other at that point and the computer is able to detect the change in the electric field at the touch point. They are the most inexpensive format of touch screen technology. However, they do not offer 100% image clarity. The touch effect registers whether you use a stylus or a gloved touch. However, do not use any sharp objects on the screen as it can be easily damaged that way.
- Capacitive monitor: This technology contains a layer of glass panel on top of which there is a thin layer, which stores a continuous electric charge. At the touch on the screen some of this charge passes on to the user. This decreases the capacitance on the screen at that point, which is detected by the computer and calculated to understand the action. These are extremely durable and are widely used in POS systems, Kiosks, and industrial technology. It has also been availed in high-end mobile tablet technologies in the market today. You cannot activate a capacitive screen with a stylus or gloved fingers.
- Surface acoustic wave technology monitors: A series of transducers are set up along the sides of the glass monitor. There are also a series of reflectors to create an invisible grid on the surface of the monitor. This grid is made up of ultrasonic waves. When a user touches the screen, the point of change in the grid is absorbed and the transducers collect the changes. This helps the controller to realize the action on screen. These offer the highest levels of image clarity and are the most expensive touch screens available.
Various considerations when selecting the best resistive touch screen technology
When selecting a touch screen monitor for your use, make sure to keep in mind these considerations:
- The level of ease with the interface – there is no point investing in a high-end technology if you are not compatible to the interface to make the technology work for you.
- Mounting options – You should look through panel mounting, rack and freestanding mounting options to know which one suits your needs the best.
- Damage proof environment – Check whether you need an enclosure for your touch screen monitors, your options include standard, stainless steel enclosures and waterproof enclosures.
Resistive touch screen price and the future of touch screen resistive displays
Prices of resistive screen displays are very reasonable and the future of touch screen displays looks bright with faytech leading the industry. Contact us to speak with one of our experts about the touch screen solutions that will best meet your needs.
Contact Faytech North America for all your questions.